Small Space Living Design Tips
Beverly Hills award-winning designer Christopher Grubb shared his design tricks and tips on LX.TV’s “Open House” for making smaller spaces pop through the use of color and multi-functional furniture.
“Interior design for a small space can be surprisingly exciting on a grand scale,” said Grubb, president and founder of Arch-Interiors Design Group.
His top tips for designing small spaces include:
– Incorporate multi-functional furniture, such as buffets that do double duty for storage and serving food when entertaining.
– Paint the walls to match a drapery color to make a room feel more expansive and comfortable.
– When working with high ceilings, use color and don’t be afraid to go bold; the contrast draws the eyes upward and helps elongate the room.
– Use smaller-scale furniture in tighter spaces; lower-profile chairs with open sides will feel less encroaching than taller pieces.
– Incorporate stools in rich patterns or bold colors. They can serve as “art” for the room while also making great extra seating for guests.
– In a dining area, add a cantilevered buffet piece. It’s perfect for additional storage, plus it gives a lofty “floating” feeling since it leaves the floor visible to the wall. “It’s also perfect for serving during dinner parties,” added Grubb.
– Select a dining table with small leaves that pull out when needed. And don’t buy more folding chairs. Using chairs you have in the living area can result in a very exciting setup for dinner parties.
This entry was posted on Monday, November 30th, 2015 at 4:20 PM and is filed under Creativity, Kitchen Design, Projects. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.